Tathamfamilyhistory
The Tathams of County Durham
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]

Arrowe Hall, Woodchurch, Wirral



 

Notes: In 1807, Liverpool shipowner and slave trader John Shaw bought Arrowe House Farm and the surrounding land. On his death in 1829 it came into the ownership of his nephew, John Ralph Nicholson Shaw, who built Arrowe Hall in 1835 and had the grounds landscaped to form a country estate, with parkland, a lake and workers' cottages. The Hall was extended on several occasions in the later 19th century.
The property was handed down to Captain Otho Shaw, a world traveller and collector, who housed numerous items there.
Arrowe Hall and Park were acquired by Lord Leverhulme in 1908, who subsequently sold the estate to Birkenhead Corporation in 1926.
The Hall was sold by the local council in 1997 and converted to use as a private care centre.

Latitude: 53.3668, Longitude: -3.0943


Birth

Matches 1 to 1 of 1

   Last Name, Given Name(s)    Birth    Person ID 
1 Shaw, William Otho Nicholson  22 May 1846Arrowe Hall, Woodchurch, Wirral I2754

Residence

Matches 1 to 1 of 1

   Last Name, Given Name(s)    Residence    Person ID 
1 Shaw, William Otho Nicholson  bef 1901Arrowe Hall, Woodchurch, Wirral I2754