Tathamfamilyhistory
The Tathams of County Durham
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]

St Mark, Whitechapel



 



Tree: Tatham
Notes: St Mark's Church was built in 1838-9 and demolished in 1927.
St Mark Whitechapel (Goodman's Fields), 1839-1925, also known as St Mark, Tenter Ground.
The church was built in 1838 by the Metropolis Churches Fund, at a cost of 5,265 11s 1d to designs by Thomas Henry Wyatt and David Brandon (their first London church) and consecrated on 30 May 1839, to serve a poor and populous district. The parish was carved out of St Mary Whitechapel, by Order in Council of 1 April 1841. The Dowager Queen Adelaide provided 25 towards the building of a Sunday and infant school. National Schools, to designs by John Hudson of 40 Leman Street, were established that year between Chamber Street and Royal Mint Street (the boys section was rebuilt in 1862), where a parish hall was also built. (Nearby was a boarding school for Jewish orphans.)
[Start of 5000-word article on the parish, the church and its incumbents, online at St George in the East website accessed 11 Nov 2009]

Location : Latitude: 51.5128, Longitude: -0.0712


Marriage

Matches 1 to 1 of 1

   Family    Marriage    Family ID   Tree 
1 Tatham / Roth  30 Dec 1841St Mark, Whitechapel F0256 Tatham