1917 - 1993 (75 years)
||Allison Digby Tatham-Warter [1, 2, 3] |
||26 May 1917
[1, 3] |
||abt 1930 - 1935
||Wellington College, Crowthorne
- - possibly = Wellington College, Crowthorne, Berkshire.
- possibly = Wrekin College, Wellington, Shropshire; named Wellington College until 1920, and only 19 miles from his home.
||abt 1935 - 1937
; Royal Military College  |
||abt 1937 - 1945
||Officer, Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry; later Parachute Regt [3, 5] |
- Appointed 2nd Lieut 27 Apr 1938 with 2nd Battn, then in India at Bareilly. 
||DSO [2, 3] |
||Major  |
||Game Hunter & Safari Operator, Kenya [3, 6] |
||21 Mar 1993
||Lewa Downs, Kenya
- After the War, Digby Tatham-Warter, on the strength of the recommendation of his aunt and uncle [his mother's brother, Philip Nicholson Dearlove?], took up an appointment with the 5th King's African Rifles in Kenya. He bought a farm at Eburru in the Rift Valley. During the Mau Mau rebellion in the 1950's, he commanded a mounted section. The family later moved to another farm at Laikipia, and Digby began to organise safaris, accommodating photography, bird shooting and small game. He died in Nanyuki in 1993. [pegasus website accessed 19 May 2010]
- Digby Tatham-Warter led a bayonet charge during the Battle of Arnhem sporting a bowler hat [??] and an umbrella. [The Daily Telegraph Second Book of Obituaries: Heroes and Adventures (Macmillan, 1993), edited by Hugh Massingberd]
||Tatham | Meaburn branch | Descendant - male line|
||21 Oct 2012 |
||Henry de Grey Warter Tatham, b. 22 Feb 1862, Sussex Gardens, Paddington , d. 02 Jul 1927, Buckland St Mary (Age 65 years) |
||Kathleen Maude Dearlove, b. 05 May 1882, Elm, Cambs , d. 22 May 1978, Cheltenham (Age 96 years) |
||02 Aug 1900
[9, 10, 11] |
- Hinton Hall in Apr 1911: 16 rooms, 5 servants
||Hinton Hall, Pontesbury|
Home of the Vaughan family and later of the Tatham-Warter family
||Buckland House, Buckland St Mary|
Home of the Tatham-Warter family in the 1920s
||Tatham Crest on Mustard Spoon|
Silver mustard spoon from Tatham-Warter family. Assayed in Dublin in 1821. Note the single arrow.
||Family Group Sheet|
- [S02] BMD Index, birth reg Atcham, 3Q1917.
- [S05] The Times, forthcoming marriages, 21 Mar 1947.
- [S07] Other Sources, Pegasus Archive.
website accessed 26 May 2010
- [S05] The Times, obituary, 13 Apr 1993.
- [S37] Army Lists & Records, Indian Army List, 1939.
- [S03] Family Members, RCC.
- [S17] Telephone Directories.
- [S03] Family Members, JH.
- [S02] BMD Index, marriage reg Wisbech, 3Q1900.
- [S01] Census, UK, 1911.
marr 10 yrs
- [S15] Cambridge University Alumni, sv Tatham, Henry de Grey Warter.