abt 1779 - 1855 (~ 76 years)
||Elizabeth Pobgee [1, 2, 3] |
||abt Nov 1799
||  |
|Thomas Trevor Tatham, b. 28 Mar 1779, Rotherhithe , d. 10 Feb 1866, North Rd, Highgate |
||Park Place, North Rd, Highgate
||26 Oct 1855
[3, 4, 5] |
- On the 26th inst., at Highgate, in the 77th year of her age, Elizabeth, for nearly 56 years the wife of Thos. Trevor Tatham, Esq., of that place, and of Staple-inn, Holborn. [The Times]
- Miss S. Pobje.* In various pedigrees her Christian name is indicated by the initial S., but when she d., 26 Oct., 1855, aged 76, at Highgate, she was described as "Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Trevor Tatham, Esq., of Highgate and Staple-inn;" Gent.'s Mag., N.S., XLIV, p.669. She was of French origin, but lived in the South of England before marriage.
*: Under Shop-and-Tavern Signs, Prof. Ernest Weekley, M.A., says in The Romance of Names, 3rd ed., 1922, p.135: 'The popinjay or parrot is still occasionally found as Pobgee, Popjoy;' and, ibid., p.220, says: 'Popjoy may have been applied to the successful archer who, [shooting at the wooden figure of a parrot], became King of the popinjay for the year.'
See also Prof. Weekley's Surnames, ed. 1916, pp.200-201, where he suggests that the name may derive from a shop-or-tavern sign, or from a nickname due to some characteristic of the original bearer. [Curtis]
[Note: Ernest Weekley (1879-1956) was a philologist & etymologist at Nottingham University. His German wife Frieda (1879-1956) ran off with D H Lawrence after he came to visit her husband in 1912. Prof. Weekley's academic reputation and popularity with his students contributed to the University's early disdain for Lawrence's work.]
- not found in 1841 census
- Name Pobje: only 2 entries in IGI, both London, marr 1791, bapt 1803.
Name Pobgee more frequent: 115 baptisms, incl:
Elizabeth Pobgee, bp East Grinstead 23 Jan 1771, parents William & Elizabeth Pobgee [IGI batch I030986]. 3 other baptisms for these parents 177101783.
Hannah Pobgee, bp East Grinstead 09 Sep 1779, parents William & Mary Pobgee [LDS member post 1991]. 4 other baptisms to these parents 1778-1785.
Also Mrs Susannah (Pobgee) b East Grinstead 05 Aug 1783, marr William Pobgee East Grinstead 16 May 1809 [LDS member post 1991].
Later baptisms in East Grinstead, Maidstone & Penge.
Name Pobjoy or Popejoy more frequent in IGI.
- No clues as to name Phelps (cf 1851 census)
- No sign of any French connection (cf Curtis)
||Tatham | Morris branch | Spouse|
||29 Aug 2012 |
||Thomas Trevor Tatham, b. 28 Mar 1779, Rotherhithe , d. 10 Feb 1866, North Rd, Highgate (Age 86 years) |
||abt Nov 1799
||  |
- marriage record not yet traced
- married for 55 years
| ||1. Frances Louisa Tatham, b. 09 Mar 1801, St Pancras , d. 17 Jul 1881, Cholmeley Lodge, Highgate (Age 80 years)|
| ||2. Thomas Tatham, b. 22 Sep 1802, St Pancras , d. Oct 1807, Highgate (Age 5 years)|
| ||3. Elizabeth Tatham, b. 11 Apr 1804, St Pancras , d. Nov 1807, Highgate (Age 3 years)|
|+||4. John Lawrence Tatham, b. 07 May 1806, Highgate , d. 16 Apr 1886, West Hill, Highgate (Age 79 years)|
|+||5. Henry Tatham, b. 01 Oct 1807, Highgate , d. 18 Oct 1889, North Hill, Highgate (Age 82 years)|
|+||6. Thomas Christopher Tatham, b. 28 Mar 1809, Highgate , d. 11 Dec 1874, Ranmore, Pine Grove, Weybridge (Age 65 years)|
|+||7. Mary Tatham, b. 02 Feb 1811, Highgate , d. 05 Jan 1885, Wood Green (Age 73 years)|
| ||8. Elizabeth Ann Tatham, b. 01 Mar 1813, Highgate , d. 24 Feb 1902, 21 Talbot Rd, Hornsey (Age 88 years)|
| ||9. Caroline Tatham, b. 31 Jan 1815, Highgate , d. 16 Jun 1897, Lyndale House, The Bank, Highgate (Age 82 years)|
|+||10. Michael Hodgson Tatham, b. 03 Jan 1817, Highgate , d. 26 Sep 1883, Trevor House, Hornsey Lane, Hornsey (Age 66 years)|
|+||11. Alfred Charles Tatham, b. 23 Oct 1818, Highgate , d. 08 Jul 1889, Trevor Lodge, Oak Hill Rd, Surbiton (Age 70 years)|
|+||12. Ralph Raisbeck Tatham, b. 18 Apr 1822, Highgate , d. 01 Oct 1893, 30 Marina St, St Leonards-on-Sea (Age 71 years)|
||29 Apr 2013 |
||Family Group Sheet|
- [S06] Parish Registers, baptisms, Highgate Chapel, 17 Feb 1808.
- [S01] Census, UK, 1851.
Elizth. Tatham age 72
- [S04] H Curtis: Notes for a Pedigree of the Tathams of Co. Durham.
- [S02] BMD Index, death reg Edmonton, 4Q1855.
- [S05] The Times, death notice, 29 Oct 1855.